Buddy’s Bullets, 4/16/14
Here are the main takeaways:
- Shortstop Everth Cabrera is returning to the Padres lineup tonight, but third baseman Chase Headley is sidelined with a right biceps strain, Black said Headley is day-to-day
- First baseman Yonder Alonso took grounders at third today during batting practice
- Black said the Padres weakest backup position is third base, where Alexi Amarista is starting today
- With infielder Ryan Jackson currently unavailable at Triple-A with a wrist injury, the Padres might look to Alonso or catcher Yasmani Grandal to play some third base if Headley were out for an extended time
- Right-handed pitcher Casey Kelly looked good in his simulated game in Arizona and might make one more simulated start before starting a rehab assignment
- Left fielder Carlos Quentin took live batting practice for a third straight day, but has yet to run on the bone bruise in his left knee. Bud is ruling out the possibility of starting a rehab assignment this weekend.
Tune into FOX Sports San Diego or The Mighty 1090 to watch game three of the series at 7:10pm tonight.