- Third baseman Chase Headley was hitting from both sides of the plate in batting practice and playing some catch. Headley didn’t have ice on his strained right bicep before the game, but he was sporting a new carbon-fiber knee brace on his right knee to take stress off the knee.
- Black hinted Headley could be back in the lineup over the weekend.
- Right-handed pitcher Casey Kelly threw a side session Friday morning in Arizona and is scheduled to pitch in a simulated game at Padres extended spring training camp in Arizona on Monday. He is up to 50 to 60 pitches. If he passes Monday’s test, Kelly will likely start a rehab assignment with Double-A San Antonio.
- Left fielder Carlos Quentin: He continues to take batting practice. He runs on a treadmill that reduces the impact of his full weight. However, he is closer to running on the field. Black said he expects Quentin will report to Arizona’s extended spring training camp when the Padres are on the road next week “and get closer to full baseball activities.” The next step would then be a rehab assignment.
- Center fielder Cameron Maybin physically feels good in his rehab assignment with Triple-A El Paso. But he’s batting only .125. “He’s got to get some hits,” said Black.
Tune into FOX Sports San Diego and The Mighty 1090 for Padres vs. Giants from Petco Park at 7:10p.m.