Cabrera to D.L., Conrad up, and Cashner Can Catch
Major League earned run leader Johnny Cueto (1.88) is starting for the Reds against Tyson Ross in a matchup of right-handers. Opponents are hitting .171 against Cueto this season, which is also the best mark in the Major Leagues.
Before the game, the Padres placed shortstop Everth Cabrera on the 15-day disabled list and promoted infielder Brooks Conrad from Triple-A El Paso, where the Monte Vista High grad is hitting .275 with 18 homers and 57 RBIs.
Bud Black’s thoughts:
- “Cabrera was going to be at least a week to 10 days away,” said the manager. “Playing with 24 guys is difficult. And bringing him back too soon could be disastrous”
- Alexi Amarista becomes the Padres primary shortstop until Cabrera returns, although recently-acquired Irving Falu can also play short. “Lexi is a very good defender,” said Black.
- Right-handed pitcher Andrew Cashner will play catch today.
- Black on Conrad: “He’s primarily a second baseman. He’s got some bat. He’s a switch-hitter.”
- To make room for Conrad on the 40-man roster, the Padres moved left-handed relief pitcher Troy Patton (shoulder strain) from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list.
Tune into FOX Sports San Diego and The Mighty 1090 at 12:40 PT for full game coverage.