Updated: Seth Smith’s Contract Extended
Ron Fowler announced on #PadresSH that the team has signed OF Seth Smith to a 2-year contract extension with club option for 2017
— San Diego Padres (@Padres) July 2, 2014
Extension is through the 2016 season with a club option for 2017.
Smith got the hits started for the Padres last night with a leadoff homerun and finished the night a triple away from the cycle.
The outfielder is currently hitting .281 with 9 homeruns and 25 RBI’s in 72 games for the Padres this year. He leads the team in homeruns, triples, doubles, RBIs and runs scored.
Smith is in his first season with San Diego and had been scheduled to become a free agent following the 2014 season.
UPDATE: Details on Smith’s contract extension have been reported by Corey Brock of MLB.com and he will receive $6M in 2015, $6.75M in 2016 and a club option at $7M in 2017 with $250,000 buyout ($13 million guaranteed).
After today’s announcement, Smith met with the media and said, “I wouldn’t have stayed if I didn’t think we could win. My first question was, ‘are we going to try to win?’ The answer from ownership was yes.”
After he received that response he continued with, “I got the answers I wanted to hear, a commitment to winning. I wanted to stay from day one. A few weeks ago, they asked me if I’d be interested in an extension. It was done in about two days.”
A.J. Hinch followed Smith in talking to the media and said, “He could be a huge part of roster construction moving forward. He fits in so many scenarios. It all started with him being a good player”.